Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Seize the Day

One of the few things about this city that I actually embrace fully is a wonderful thing called the Broadway musical.  I love Broadway musicals.  They are fun, engrossing, and an incredible display of talent.  And, thanks to a combination of law firm summering and rush tickets with my uber-lucky spouse, I've have the incredible fortune of seeing many Broadway musicals (including Avenue Q, Wicked, In the Heights, Les Miz, Xanadu...).  But due to a spate of less luck, we haven't gone to any shows for the last two years...until today.  

It just so happens that one of my best friends from law school is here, visiting us from Hong Kong.  He is like a brother, and has been for the last 8 years.  To have these three days of vacation with him is such a gift.  He got in last night, and true to form, we stayed up until 2:30am talking.  This happens every time we get together.  (That has been the case for many years now)

Then, this morning, we started out the day by introducing him to almond croissants at Bien Cuit.  Then we went into Manhattan to try our luck at rushing "Newsies," and because it was a random Wednesday in late September (when the number of tourists is way down), all three of us won tickets.  I was so excited.  I grew up watching "Newsies" many, many, many, many times over -- that VHS tape has been worn thin over the years.  I still remember many of the lyrics (as does my brother, who texted me back with full lines of song lyrics when I told him the news), and I have such good memories of the movie.  To be able to see the musical with two of my favorite people (Mr. Squire and our friend) just took the cake.

Before the show, we headed to our amazing, not-so-secret, back-of-the-bodega taco purveyor at Tehuitzingo for their papas & chorizo and lengua tacos.  Sooooo good.  Then we settled into our Row F and Row C seats for the musical.  It was So. So. Good.  So good.  The dancing, the singing, the talent... and the songs that I remembered from so long ago.  When the show opened, I was fighting a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes -- so much nostalgia.  Mr. Squire and our friend also loved the musical (Mr. Squire and I agree that it is our second-favorite, behind only In the Heights), and it doubled my joy to be able to share this part of my childhood with them.

What an amazing first day of vacation.  I feel incredibly blessed and am excited for the next 13 days too!

No comments:

Post a Comment