Saturday, November 16, 2013

Hello, November: Gratitude List 1-10

How is it November already?!  And not just November, but the back half of November??

A bunch of people on Facebook have been posting one thing for which they are thankful each day.  I like reading what they say, and it's heartwarming to see people practice gratitude.  In August of 2004, I started a "happy journal" in which I listed things for which I was grateful each day.  I kept up the practice for about seven years and eventually stopped because I realized that after years of practicing gratitude on a daily basis, it had become a habit.  I didn't need a journal anymore to remind me to be grateful; I just was grateful, and could see--without looking too hard--the myriad blessings that covered each day.

That having been said, though, it would be nice to join my fellow FB compatriots by spelling out some of the things for which I am grateful.  I'll start with ten today (in no particular order, except the first):

1.  Jesus. God. The Holy Spirit.  Almighty, infinite, all-loving, sacrificial, forgiving, compassionate, JUST, magnificently creative, patient, kind, generous, long-suffering, divine.

2.  Creation.  Everything from the big things (the magnitude of the galaxies and planetary bodies, the power of the tide and oceans, the vast extent of biodiversity, the miracle of human life) to the "little" things (the sound of laughter, the changing color of leaves every fall, the mesmerizing nature of clouds) reflect God's goodness, creativity, and power.  He is awesome, and what He made was good.

3.  My parents.  Their lives have exemplified courage, diligence, perseverance, adventure, discipline, wisdom, faith, acceptance, and love.  And they let me persist in my obsession with stuffed animals.  :)

4.  My brother and his family.  My second father and third parent nursed me through nosebleeds, cheered me through chronic ailments, and taught me about co-dominance versus partial dominance (among numerous other lessons in math and science).  Now, with the support of his wonderful wife and kid, he is living out his calling, healing bodies and ministering to souls, both here and abroad.  

5.  My Rascal.  The funniest.  The most servant-hearted.  The most patient.  The most happy-go-lucky.  The most agreeable.  The most humble.   The most teachable.  The most wonderful.

6.  Joy.  Right now, things are going really well.  We're healthy, we're employed (well, kind of), we're ministering to others and passing on the things God has taught us, we're enjoying life to the fullest.  But even when things aren't going well, we still have joy--that deep-seated sense of spiritual wellness that can come only through freedom in Christ.  I am thankful for happiness, but even more thankful for joy.

7.  Our home.  The day will come, I'm sure, when we will have to leave this place.  But for the last two years and every day since, I've been reveling in magical Brooklyn Heights.  From the towering, glowing gingkos that rise past five stories, to the rows of stately brownstones with their cheerfully decorated doors, to the gentle lapping river just a cobblestoned walk away, to our wonderful neighbor friends in the building and the shops (Calvin & Lisette, Karim, Thuza, Ghizlan, Fudla, Mohamed, Saleem, Salah), life is just really really good here.

8.  The Firm.  When I think about my co-workers--all of them, from the records room to the paralegals to the secretaries to the tech folks to the kitchen ladies to the associates to the partners--I am filled with thankfulness.  I've not been happier anywhere else.  It's been such a great place to heal and grow and contribute.

9.  Sisters.  So many sisters!  Never had so many all at once, and so many wonderful women surrounding me.  The women at our church are loving, talented, fun, eager, genuine, and strong.  Iron sharpening iron.

10.  Health.   I made it to 30 without any major health crises.  So many people in the world can't say the same.  Thanks for the health, God.

No comments:

Post a Comment