Sunday, March 9, 2014

Isaiah 1:11-13

This passage came up TWICE for me today:  once during the church service and once during the Blackhawk sermon we listened to over dinner.  This excited me, because I believe that when God repeats things (especially in such close and obvious succession!), He is speaking directly to me.

It also sobered me because ...well, just read the verses... they are all about fervent religious activity made worthless because the heart does not match the actions. Kapow.  Straight to the heart.  Duly noted, Lord.

Spent some good time with Mr. Squire unpacking what I think God is saying to me... I need to hold my tongue.  Beware not to create divides within the church.  Take care of my family.  Be patient and humble.  Do justice.  Have compassion.  Share.  Love people, even when they annoy me.  And don't think for a second that "good deeds," "serving at church," or any other "godly acts" will appease God's wrath and frustration over these sins.

Ouch.  The prophet--God's mouthpiece--speaks judgment for our good.  It hurts, but it is so we can have a real and mended relationship with God.  I know I have a lot to reflect on and repent over... I'm smarting, but I'm also grateful.  The Lord chastens those whom He loves.


No comments:

Post a Comment