Monday, December 28, 2015

Let's Be Real...

Life is good here in Palmtreeville.  Mostly.  

I still pinch myself most days, tickled and shocked at the fact that I'm finally living out my dream at work.  Unbelievable.  

My wonderful baby girl and her dad are fantastic (albeit exhausting) housemates.  This evening, Daddy was trying to build a tower taller than Junior with her new wooden blocks, and Junior was toddling over and knocking it over like Godzilla.  Good times had by all.  These are the moments that make life magical.

And ridiculously hot weather aside, it is beautiful here.  Flowers, trees, puffy clouds, a beautiful sky, and a piercing sunset every evening as I leave the office.  The fact that I leave at a time at which I can still see the sun is a shocker.

So...life is good here in Palmtreeville.  Mostly.

Today at lunch, I took a walk (yes, I took my lunch hour! Again, a shocker), and walked round and round the nearby lake, passing hoards of sandpipers, herons, swans, and geese.  

It was nice.  But I was lonely.

My mind was in New York... on the grimy, nasty streets of New York.  On the crowded, bustling sidewalks of New York.  On the beautiful, beloved faces of my friends-like-family in New York.  I kept thinking (as I often do these days) that I can't wait to go back to visit.  Surely, it won't be the same--and that will be a mixed blessing--but I still can't wait to go back and see the faces that I love, and the City that I was too busy to learn to love.

Reminded of our call to remain grateful in all things, and reminded of the tremendous abundance of life that God has given me here and there and everywhere, I tried to pray.  I really did.  But not much came out.  Some praise, some thanks, and then I fell silent.

And I decided that it was probably okay for me to just be still and know that He is God.  (Always my excuse when I don't have prayers readily on my lips.)  And that He was walking with me, mourning with me a while, encouraging me to be glad, and helping me remember my prior life with thanksgiving and some sorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment