Saturday, December 26, 2015

The Struggle is Real, And Grace Is, Too

I've been reading a fantastic book called "Have a Little Faith," by Mitch Albom (who is not a Christian).  I read last night a section when Mitch went to an old dilapidated church in Detroit and got to know the pastor there.  The pastor (a former drug addict and dealer) mentioned that sometimes his parishioners came to church all high on drugs, and Mitch said, "Really? Don't you mind?"  And the pastor's response was this:

"I don't care if you're drunk, or you just left the drug house, I don't care.  When I'm sick, I go to the emergency room.  And if the problem continues, I go again.  So whatever's ailing you, let this church be your emergency room.  Until you get the healing, don't stop comng." 

That response reminded me of Jesus saying that He came to heal the sick, not the well.  And it convicted me, because I spend a lot of time trying to be "well" -- or at least do things that make me look like I'm "well."  But God knows the truth, and deep down, I do too.  I am sick and I need help.  And in addition to mourning this and repenting, I need to also REJOICE! Because Jesus is our emergency room, and he invites us to come to him for healing... over and over...and over... and over.  Until we get the healing, He says, we are still welcome--don't stop coming.  How wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment