Tuesday, April 23, 2013

On Redemption

Every spring, I look forward to seeing this vine of flowering quince bloom on the iron fence of a brownstone along a cobblestone road in our neighborhood.  It is just so beautiful, with its mix of whites and pinks and magentas.  And it says that spring has come, that life has returned from the dead of winter. (Mind you, I like winter a lot, too.  But I like the magic of spring.)



What the flowering quince says to me about the renewal of life in nature, a man named Danny said to me about the renewal of life in mankind last night at an event hosted by Hudson Link for Higher Education.

I first became aware of Hudson Link during my clerkship, when I attended a brownbag at the courthouse, where they screened "Zero Percent," a documentary about how college programs in prisons here in New York are turning lives around--resulting in a zero percent recidivism rate among men and women who graduate from college in prison, and eventually leave prison after finishing their time.  Following the screening, I had a long conversation with Hudson Link's founder, Sean Pica (who himself earned his college degree while serving more than 16 years in prison), who invited Mr. Squire and me to attend the upcoming college graduation at Sing Sing, a maximum-security prison north of the City.

Our trip to Sing Sing is another story for another time, but in a short:  it was moving, uplifting, and life-affirming.  And it made me believe in this program fully.  So, I've kept in touch with the Hudson Link folks, and last night I attended a spring kickoff event that the Board's Young Professional Network hosted.  There, I met Danny.  Danny served 22 years in prison and was released 16 months ago. Since that time, he's been working as a life coach and personal companion of sorts to a retired Citibank executive, helping him to relearn skills and hobbies that he used to enjoy before sustaining a head injury after a fall.  Danny shared about his gradual transformation, from selling drugs even within prison walls, to turning his back on that lifestyle entirely, and pursuing higher education and a law-abiding life instead.  He now serves on the Board of Hudson Link and runs the alumni network for all Hudson Link graduates who have since left prison and carried on with their lives.  

Danny has lived multiple lives already.  He's seen so much, and yet... he is a brand new person now.  I was so encouraged. 

This is exactly the type of thing that the church should get behind, I think.  I don't think it's right to ask the government to fund prison college programs, when so much money is already poured into the criminal justice system--and let's face it, these people have committed crimes that have damaged society.  Whatever dollars the government has for education should go to kids, not felons. But, that having been said, the church should be carrying this burden because this type of program does save lives.  And indeed, it speaks in volumes about redemption and what that really looks like.  We who are sinners saved by grace should be the first to help others who have screwed up their lives, should we not?

I'm excited for more opportunities to get involved in the future, as such opportunities arise.  But for now...spring...redemption...grace. These are the things filling my mind today.

No comments:

Post a Comment