Sunday, August 16, 2015

"Son of David" by Ghostship


The blind won't gain their sight by opening their eyes...

A king is coming to His city and crowds surround, are following, If I could see, I would follow too He heals the sick with His hands, 
as He walks by, they reach for Him; If I could see, I would reach out too 
The blind won't gain their sight by opening their eyes Son of David, have mercy on me! 
Son of David, I want to see! Son of David, have mercy!
I cannot leave this gate since I cannot see my way, 
but I can stand and call His name No, I could never leave this gate 
but I will stand and shout His name, 
and I will count on His grace!
Son of David, have mercy on me! 
Son of David, I want to see! 
Son of David, have mercy! I was blind - now I see! Jesus saved me!

* * *
We've been singing this song at church for quite a number of weeks now, but only today did it really sink in. The one line that particularly stuck out to me was "The blind won't gain their sight by opening their eyes." As in, our spiritual blindness isn't something that we can just fix by our willpower, any more than any of our failings can be cured by our own hand. It's God's grace and power and compassion that must save us from all things, ranging from physical ailments to emotional struggles to spiritual crises. We need the Son of David to have mercy on us -- and we can request such mercy just by approaching His throne of grace.

Jesus is the member of the Trinity to whom I have the greatest trouble relating, but this song puts Him in greater perspective for me, which I appreciate. More to meditate on this week...

No comments:

Post a Comment