Sunday, August 11, 2013

City Metaphor #2: Waiting on the Subway Platform

The other day, I was standing on the subway platform at Times Square - 42d Street, listening to music on my iPhone.  I can't remember which song was playing--probably something by Avalon--but it was a song I knew inside and out.  Every single rhythm, lyric, and riff.  You were there, You were there, in the midst of danger's snare...You were there, You were there, always...

While I was standing there, a train rumbled into the station on the opposite track, filling the both the space and my ears with the noise pollution of its super-screechy wheels.  I could no longer hear my music; all I could hear was the train.  

After ten seconds of waiting at the platform, the train made its rumbly exit, and as it disappeared into the tunnel, I could hear my music fading back into my ears.  The funny thing was, I knew exactly where the song was even though I had just lost 20 seconds of it due to the train.  But God in all His sovereignty had bigger plans, and just in time, You brought a lamb...

I realized in that moment that even when I physically couldn't hear the music due to the train, the music was still playing in my head.  And I never lost a beat.

It hit me then that this is why it is so important to know God's Word inside and out.  Throughout our lives, we are standing on a proverbial subway platform.  Sometimes we can hear His voice--but inevitably at times, the "noise" of life drowns it out.  If we already have God's Word hidden away in our hearts, though, we will still be able to hear His voice in our hearts despite the noise surrounding us.


No comments:

Post a Comment