Thursday, August 29, 2013

Truth

Those on whom the sun shines need neither moon nor stars, nor the light of their own fire. - Matthew Henry
 
I read this during my quiet time a couple mornings ago.  It's from the commentary to Isaiah 44, in a passage about idolatry.  I just love it, not only because it is true, but because it speaks to me where I am right now.
 
This says to me that because the love of Jesus has been poured out on me, and because God by the blood of Christ has restored my relationship with Him, I have all the approval and love in the world that I could need. 
 
He is the sun, and He shines down on me, warming my face, sustaining my soul.  In light of that (no pun intended), there is no need to run after other sources of light and warmth--approval from others by way of amassing money, power, fame, popularity, or knowledge.  And indeed, running after such things is foolishness, for the light of the stars pales in comparison with the light of the sun (the stars brighten the night, but the sun drives out night).  And the brightness of the moon actually is attributable to the sun. (Talk about idolatry: praising the thing that was made in lieu of the One who made it!)
 
Nor is there any need to build and light my own fire in an attempt to create my own light and warmth.  Such an effort would be meaningless, meaningless, a chasing after the wind.  And doesn't the majority of modern life look like that?  Working endlessly in a chase after coals to add to the fire, exerting strength day after to day to fan its flames, constantly tending to a fire to make it bigger and better--and to ensure that it is not snuffed out.  And for what, when the sun is shining down on me?
 
I like the idea.  I love it, in fact.  But I'm not living it out yet.  I'm still tending a fire, still squinting into a telescope to examine the stars, still basking in the light of the moon.  One day I will grow up...hopefully one day soon.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment