Thursday, August 22, 2013

Spared!...and Reflective

This morning, while jogging to the gym at 7am, I was nearly run over by a taxi that was speeding through a red light.  And mind you, he wasn't speeding through a yellow light that turned red at the last minute; his red light had been red and was four or five seconds shy of turning green when he sped through the intersection, almost hitting me.  

In my shock, which quickly turned to relief--and then very quickly turned to anger--I yelled at the cabbie (who himself was stunned and braked hard after passing through the intersection) -- "What are you doing?? What, were you just going to run the red and hit me?!"  Then the light turned green, and he yelled an apology out the window, and went on his way.

I disappointed myself.  As I walked toward the gym, heart pounding, I imagined all the other things I wish I had said--most of them variations on what I actually said.

But after thinking about it for a while, I realize that what I should have done was walk over to his car and require him to pull over, take note of his cab number, and ask him (a) if he understands that red means stop; (b) if he understands that he could have hit--or killed--me or anyone else by speeding through that red; and (c) whether he promised never to do it again.  And if he gave me anything short of sincere, correct responses, I would report him to the NYPD.  But if he gave me the right answers with real remorse, I would not report him.  After all, it's not easy being a cabbie (but that does not excuse reckless driving!).

This is the second time that I have learned that I lack the presence that I desire to have in emergency situations.  When a guy rammed into my parents-in-law's car before my very eyes--twice--while parallel parking into an illegal spot, I yelled at the guy, but didn't do anything productive.  I need growth in this area.  I think real wisdom doesn't just react by yelling; it takes in the situation and responds with deliberation in a measured, helpful way.  Yes...I really need to grow in this area especially.

And in the meantime, I am very thankful to have been spared.

No comments:

Post a Comment