Thursday, October 1, 2015

Day 33: Midpoint

I'm exactly halfway through my transition hiatus.  How beautifully appropriate, as today is our last day here.  Tomorrow our movers come and we begin our trek down (hopefully not too drastically impeded by Hurricane Joaquin).

We did a lot of packing today.  Like, a LOT.  But thankfully, we've been at it in fits and starts for about two weeks already, so it wasn't miserable.  We also lived in a 400-square-foot apartment not that long ago, so we haven't had the opportunity to accumulate hoards of stuff.

The best part about today was taking Junior out to play and taking our daily walk together.  I climbed up Green Mountain with her, then chased her up and down some slides and tubes.  She's a strong and fearless girl (so far).  I'm so proud of her!  

Afterward, she tucked away into the ergo and we went on our walk along the Hudson.  She napped and snuggled against me; lately, all she wants to do (it seems) is snuggle with me.  I have no objections to that and hope it lasts all the way through the rest of this hiatus.  :)  How wonderful (thanks, God!) that her clingy stage should coincide with my break at home!  

By the time she woke up, we were back by the ferry terminal, and I showed her some of the flowers and dried cornstalks nearby.  She smiled at the feel of the soft red flower and seemed intrigued by the dried corn.  I treasure these opportunities to stop and smell the roses with her, and to introduce her to a world of new things.  
The rain didn't start until we got home.  Then back to packing, and Gma and Gpa were there to help distract her for an hour so Mr. Squire and I could get more things done.

The boxes are piled up...the shelves are empty.  The place no longer looks like home.  Home is taking a long drive down the seaboard to establish itself elsewhere.  But it will always carry memories of this precious chapter here in the Northeast and harbor enduring love and affection for those we leave behind here.


No comments:

Post a Comment