Saturday, October 31, 2015

The Remaining Days: the Eve of the Eve

How quickly they have gone!  And how to measure the days?

Seven visits to the playground.

Approximately 20 miles walked around the neighborhood.

Five visits to Publix.  I'm not very efficient.

Four items picked up from the dry cleaners.  My suits are ready to go.

One movie.  ("The Imitation Game" was amazing!)

One TV episode.  (Catching up on "Sherlock"!)

Ten e-books, downloaded from the public library.  Now that Junior is almost a year old, I'm finally getting back to nighttime reading.  Yesss!

A couple new friends, or "maybe-friends," I should call them.  Don't know if they'll really be friends.  But had a playground date with one mom and her kiddos, and that was fun.

Three trips to the library, including one for storytime.

One new ham-and-beans recipe.  

Six pounds of BBQ ribs.

Two carrot cakes.  (One for dinner at my new boss's house tomorrow, together with my new colleagues!)

Lots of salad.  Many pounds of prepared salad.

A pineapple.  A goldendew.  Four pounds of grapes.  And one beautiful, juicy, amazing watermelon(!!!).  Exiled to the corner of Costco and we found it anyway.  *slurp*

Many, many hours with Junior -- swinging her on the swings, benchpressing her up into the air to make her squeal, reading and rereading the same books, driving her to and from the library, nursing and nursing and nursing round the clock, feeding her bananas and Cheerios and salmon and green peas and her beloved carrots and my beloved watermelon, luring her to the piano by playing it, steering as she "walks" her stroller around the apartment, keeping her hands away from the edge of the bed and computer wires, (only semi-successfully) making sure she doesn't eat mulch at the playground, singing and dancing together, giving lots of snuggles, watching her grow up day by day.

Good talks and reconnection with Mr. Squire.  With the move and transition, we got a bit lost.  We're good again.  :)

And now, Halloween in Palmtreeville.  It's a very, VERY big deal in this neighborhood.  Neighborman said he went through TEN bags of candy last Halloween.  Ten bags of candy FROM COSTCO.  I kid you not.  Can't wait to check it out, although it honestly is way too hot to put Junior in her (super-adorable) lobster costume.

And tomorrow, November.  And the day after that...back to the workforce.  

It actually just occurred to me yesterday that I'm returning to work on Monday.  Since then, I've been trying to sort out how I feel about it.  And I've concluded, after much proverbial head-scratching, that...I don't feel a lot of the things that I feel that I should be feeling.  I'm a little nervous, yes, but...not really that nervous.  I'm a little scared, yes, but...actually not much.  I'm a lot excited, yes, but...I'm not losing sleep over it.  In other words, this feels a lot like how I felt the night before I got married.  Excited, happy, but totally level and chill.  Because I knew it was right.

I felt more right about marriage than I do about this job, but it's pretty close.  And I guess that's what happens when you have spiritual conviction, plus decades of dreaming, working, praying, hoping, and one huge years-long setback, followed by deliverance.  This is it.  The time has come.  We're on the eve of eve, and all I can say is, "It is good."  That, and "Thank You so much for the last two months.  And all that preceded them."


No comments:

Post a Comment