Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Days 42-46: Settling In

The last few days have been such a flurry of activity.  

Move in.  Unpack as quickly as possible, so as to minimize the impact of the move on Junior.  (Don't ask how, but in this process, we unwittingly threw out two lamps. Oops.)  Hang up photos.  Buy furniture.  Give everything a home.  Try out a couple playgrounds.  Visit a second church.  Visit IKEA.  

I was so tired out by all of this that I slept for twelve hours (with two nursing sessions at 3am and 7am) last night.  Twelve.  Hours.  

I'm feeling better now.

But not about everything.  This whole transition thing...I'm a little rusty at it after having spent 7 years in the City.  And it's been a little lonely.  When we went to the playground, two yogamoms were there with their kiddos, and we probably appeared way too eager to be friends.  Or we stuck out as a family of three, rather than a mom-baby dyad.  Or I don't look like a yogamom.  Or I'm not Caucasian.  Not sure what combination of the foregoing was the cause, but they were absolutely uninterested in making any type of conversation.  Wahr-wahrrrr.

Must remember that these things take time.

Oh! But in other news, we had our first out-of-town visitor.  One of Mr. Squire's friends from his college church was here for work, so we had dinner together and it was awesome to see her and catch up.  We have prayed for a soft landing, and visits like Mandy's count as an answer to that prayer (we also know of others who are coming in the next several months. Yay!).

We visited a church on Sunday and the pastor spoke about how the Israelites were delivered out of Egypt, but immediately started complaining.  They had just crossed--on dry land--through a significant body of water.  And they were being delivered from slavery and into a land where they were to flourish.  And they were complaining.

I immediately thought about how much I resemble the Israelites in that way... I'm lonely and a little scared that we'll always feel like foreigners in a strange (HOT!) land.  I almost regret leaving about 80% of the time.  I'm longing for Egypt (see previous post) again. 

But then... I need to pinch myself, and wake up my soul.  This is where God has led us.  This is what He has given us.  Where we are -- yes, even in this strange, HOT land -- is a gift to our family and to me specifically.  And yes, it may take some time to adjust.  And yes, friendships and community may take a while to take shape and gain life. But this is where we're supposed to be, and it is therefore good.  (Maybe I should print that out and post it on the bathroom mirror or something.)

Anyway, that's where we're at right now.  

Separately, Mommy continues to relish all of her bonus time with Junior.  What a special gift that little one is.  She is so much fun, with her smiles and funny expressions, with her ability to make a game out of nothing, with her joy and snuggles.  The snuggles are especially wonderful.  When she sees me and lights up, and crawls as fast as she can toward me (and she is fast!), it's the best thing ever.  Best. Thing. Ever.  I love being her mom.  What a privilege it has been.  Mommy loves you, Junior!!!

And with that, time to turn in for the night.  About to visit the DMV and become a Palmtreeville resident tomorrow.  :-o

No comments:

Post a Comment