Sunday, June 23, 2013

Chicory

The Squires drove up to Boston again this weekend to attend wedding #4.  God gave us gorgeous weather and few traffic issues (for the most part) for the drive up and back, which we were very thankful for.  

Another thing I was very thankful for were the masses of chicory flowers lining the highways upon which we traveled, particularly in New York and Connecticut.  I have long loved chicory and it is my absolute favorite flower.  It's a pity that it is considered a weed, because I think it would be splendid to have a garden full of them.  I've already told Mr. Squire that if we ever own a plot of land of any size, I don't want a grassy lawn; I want chicory everywhere.  

And next year, when we (God willing) move to New Jersey, I'm thinking of finding some chicory seeds and planting them along the road by the bus stop.  *plotting*

Anyway, although I didn't get to snap any photos of the chicory along the road (though I was desperate to), I did get to photograph chicory in the glass flowers exhibit at the Harvard Museum of Natural History, where the wedding reception was held.  (Hard to believe this is made of glass--and made sometime between 1887 and 1936.)  Not as pretty as the real thing, but still makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment