Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Adventures of Pi, Continued...

Following up on last week's post about Pi... where we last left off, I had explained that Mr. Squire kept Pi around after I tried to evict him during spring cleaning because he knew that keeping the penguin would get on my nerves (in a playful sort of way). 

All week long, Pi harassed me... he sat on my other animals, claimed to be their best friends, invariably came up to me for a good night kiss ("Good night Mommy! Nose to nose?").  And all week long, I waved him away in annoyance.  But I thought it was really funny that Mr. Squire was essentially undertaking his own stuffed animal for the sake of "harassing" me.  

By mid-week, though, I was kind of okay with Pi and I even thought his name was cute--mostly because of the way Mr. Squire says his name.  I also thought he added a fun dimension to our crazy world of stuffed animals here.  But I kept joking that I didn't want to keep Pi.  

Come Thursday night, Mr. Squire said he was going to bring Pi to our friends' place so their three-year-old daughter Ava could play with Pi.  And I said, "Then she can keep him!" And he replied, "Nooo!"  

I promptly forgot about it.  But when I met up with Mr. Squire at our friends' place on Friday night, he indeed had Pi in his cargo shorts pocket and was using Pi to play with Ava.  Apparently she had fun with Pi when I wasn't there, although she threw him on the ground a couple times and Mr. Squire said Pi had a concussion.  (In case you hadn't noticed, we are crazy people.)  Then, when I arrived, she didn't seem to like Pi much.  So when we left, I was waving goodbye to her with Pi, and I said, "Here, you can have Pi!" 

...And I didn't think she would want to keep him, because...she didn't like him (from what I had seen)! But she surprised me and kept her grip on it!  So we let her keep Pi.  

I don't think Mr. Squire really minded, but the whole way home he kept fake-whining about how I have all these stuffed animals, and he only had one, and the one he had - I gave away! He compared it to King David sleeping with Bathsheba, Uriah's one and only wife, when David had so many other concubines (sometimes his Bible analogies astound me).  He also kept saying, "You gave away my one and only friend!"  

I ended up feeling very sad about losing Pi (and I think Mr. Squire enjoyed my discomfort and squirming)...and I ordered a new one on Amazon.  We call him PiT (Pi Two), and will give PiT to Ava in exchange for getting Pi back.


No comments:

Post a Comment