Sunday, March 17, 2013

Giving Thanks

Sometime in late 2004, I began a daily journal wherein I recorded things I was thankful for every night.  The listed items ranged from ordinary everyday blessings (today was a sunny day!) to medium-sized blessings (had a great conversation with a friend!) to monumental blessings (You spared my dad following his heart attack when no one thought he should have made it!).  I kept it up faithfully, every day, for about seven years.  And then, at some point in 2011, I stopped journaling.  

Marriage had something to do with it:  when I was single, I had quiet time every evening before sleeping -- time to read my Bible, pray, and write in my journal.  Now, my evening routine involves praying with Mr. Squire, playing Words with Friends with Mr. Squire, and reading (for fun).  My quiet time has moved to the morning, after he has left for school, but that doesn't really make sense in terms of timing for the gratitude journal because it is at the beginning of the day.  

That having been said, I think it's time to bring the practice back. I feel this is especially important now that I am deep into a mire at work and in a place where I may easily lose perspective.  Let me never lose perspective of God's faithfulness and richness of blessing in every day.

So, let's start with yesterday's list:
  • Dinner with friends from Boston (Riley and Jung), together with a dear brother and sister from church, and Mr. Squire
  • Working at home for six hours, but all that made easier by the fact that Mr. Squire was home (doing our taxes!), my favorite music was playing, and snow was falling outside and God knows I LOVE snow
  • Our Denver project is progressing! Yesterday we received news that the seller accepted our offer this last week.  More about this in a different post, but what a praise.
  • Mom is visiting Big Brother and his daughter while Big Sister is away doing missions in Haiti.  Seeing pictures of Mom with Little Niece makes me smile. Mom never thought she would live long enough to be a grandmother (I doubted it as well) and I know this is a huge, huge blessing for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment