Saturday, March 23, 2013

Gratitude for the Day

1.  My coworker Tanvir came over for dinner for the first time.  It was kind of like a "five-month anniversary" dinner because we met on exactly five months ago yesterday, on our first day of work at the new firm.  She enjoyed our chicken pot pie and apple tart, and loved our "super-cute" apartment.  (We love it too!)  I enjoyed our conversation...she's so easy to talk to, and she has her head on straight in terms of priorities and values.  We don't share the same faith, but I appreciate her unsullied outlook on firm life.  She pointed out that firms feed on the insecurities of young people, and that the law profession in general runs on shattering the confidence of otherwise capable people. I confided that once upon a time, I was very confident and assertive, and fully secure in my own abilities and aptitude.  At some point during law school, and to a lesser extent beyond, I lost that confidence.  I now spend much of my professional life feeling woefully insecure, inadequate, and inept.  Tanvir doesn't share that problem, and I appreciate her confidence--both in herself, and also in me.  

2.  I didn't work today!  I slept until 8, chatted with Mr. Squire for a bit while we did our usual Saturday morning "burrowing" in bed, then went to the gym to watch Paula Deen make dessert.  Then I did my weekly mentoring, came home and cleaned out my ears (TMI, maybe), got some chicken broth on sale, and spent the afternoon cooking chicken pot pie and baking an apple tart as sunshine streamed through the wonderful windows of my tiny galley kitchen.  We had Tanvir over, then took a walk with her in Brooklyn Bridge Park, and came home to eat a second dinner (yes, I'm blushing!) of chorizo, more apple tart, and black tea with condensed milk.  That's a good day.

3.  I'm healthy, physically, emotionally, and I think spiritually.  These are some of the most blessed days of my life.

4.  I keep getting all these emails from my mom, who is visiting Big Brother and Niece for the week while Big Sister is in Haiti doing medical missions.  Mommy is so happy to be a grandma, and I'm so happy for her and all the time she's getting to spend with her granddaughter during these two weeks.

5.  I'm very grateful for Mr. Squire.  Every day I feel lucky to be married to him.  I attach one of my favorite photos of him, in which he is chasing geese back at home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment