Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Learning to Walk Humbly - 22

putting batty to sleep and watching her as daddy went downstairs to play ping pong with the rest of the family...a privilege to watch her go through her various stages of unrest during her (usually fairly) long journey to sleep, because we usually aren't around to watch her at night (we try to stay out of her room to minimize distractions) and I usually am not the one who puts her down for naps because I'm not home at those times. Tonight she faked out mommy a couple times, getting all drowsy and sucking her thumb, then rolling onto her stomach--and GRINNING--a couple times as mommy tried to get her to sleep. I love you, sweet and funny girl. 

Another beautiful day in the dairy state. The landscape here is just soul-filling. 

Quality time with Big Brother and his family. Little Person A gives the sweetest bear hugs and was a good helper in the kitchen as I made cheesecake. And I got to teach her about the difference between mama spoons (tablespoons) and Little Person A spoons (teaspoons). Big Sister and I enjoyed some quality conversation, mostly about my job decisions. I so appreciate her prayers, concern, and wisdom and insights. And Big Brother and I helped clean out the basement with our parents. First time I recall us all being down there in well over a decade. Went through lots of stuff together and revisited good memories. Very thankful for Big Brother's help; would have been a miserable task without him!

Always fun times with Mr Squire. Always. 

Reunion with Sue, my mentor from high school and college internships. we hadn't seen each other in ten years! And now we are both working lawyer moms to girls. She went through everything I'm going through now, six years ago, and we are similar in a lot of ways, so her thoughts and insights meant a lot to me. Her advice?

Don't be a stay at home mom unless you're completely willing to let your child discover who she is on her own terms and you are not going to be one of those competitive parents 

Your kid will have her own life soon; you need to let her have that, and have your own

You won't make the wrong decision because you've thought so much about making the right one. Think it through, then pick a path and own it. You won't go wrong. As long as mr Squire and you are okay, batty will be fine. 

Don't give up on law just yet, and don't judge all jobs by your current one. Private practice is the hardest. Try the next thing and if it still doesn't work, then you can quit--but at least you will have made an informed decision. I decided to keep going (even though my friends thought I would never come back after adopting our daughter) and I am so glad I did. 


No comments:

Post a Comment