Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Finishing Well in the Dash - 29

  • It is always sad to leave for work without seeing Batty with her eyes open.  But it is sweet to see her lying next to Daddy, arms up by her head, contentedly snoozing on the big bed.  I am sad that I'm not there when she wakes up.  But I am happy that she seems to be a joyful little baby -- my joyful little baby.  
  • I was thankful to run into Bern on the way out so I could get a spare ID card so I can get into the office early tomorrow (I seem to have lost my own card).  Usually I don't see Bern...but I did today, just in time. I knew that was God's provision.
  • Some quality time with Junior after work.  I held her, fed her cereal, played on the floor with her and just enjoyed watching her as she starts to crawl.  I also played some of her favorite mirror games (like peeking her above the mirror so she can see herself).  And then we put her to bed.  Sometimes I am dumbfounded by the old Emdash who couldn't appreciate babies.  Babies are awesome!  Suddenly I understand -- so fully and completely -- why people say that babies are God's gifts.  They are.  They really, truly are.
  • Good quiet times after putting Junior to sleep.  And encouraged that Mr. Squire started his quiet time even before I did.  We're working on building these habits! And for me, reading the Bible with more of an eye toward what it's telling me about God -- rather than what it's telling me about what I need to be doing -- has been really helpful. 
    • Today I read and reflected about faith and how it is certainty for things we hope for and do not see.  I had to think about what I hope for, but do not see, and how certain I really am about it.  Certain things -- like God's power and creation -- are things I hope for and am dead-certain about.  But then others, like the notion that one day, all people will bow and confess that Jesus is Lord...I tried to picture some of my partners and some of my close (not-yet-believing) friends doing that, and it was really hard to picture.  It was a wonderful image in my mind, but hard to say with conviction that I'm certain that one day it will happen.  But the Bible says it will!  
    • The other thing was that I feel uncertain that if I seek God I will find Him.  Because I feel like I've been seeking Him, and haven't been able to discern His will, particularly with respect to my work.  But ... upon further reflection (and this must have been the Spirit talking), it's actually true that the seeking leads to finding. I feel that especially in the last several days of reading the Bible and just taking time to study and pray, I have found God...I've learned more about Him and who He is.  
  • Thankful for good commutes today.  And for a pretty okay day at work.  And an okay amount of sleep.
  • Yummy cherries! Yummy watermelon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment