Friday, July 3, 2015

Learning to Walk Humbly - 25

Last day of vacation in Wisconsin.  Some ups and downs, but mostly good. I've especially appreciated watching Bathands with my parents, who dote on her, and spending time with Big Brother, Big Sister, and our niece A.  

This evening, A and I spent some time coloring in her Hello Kitty coloring book together. At her request, I colored a page featuring Hello Kitty with a rainbow. I gave Hello Kitty striped boots and a polka-dotted dress matching Bathands' polka-dotted dress.  Big Sister quipped that we could call her "Hello Bathands."  A helpfully added that we could also call her "Hello Ducky."  Or "Hello Junior."  I'm not a fan of Hello Kitty at ALL.  But...Hello Bathands I could be a fan of.  :) 

Some ironically funny moments... Mr. Squire asked Mom if she needed any help cooking dinner.  Mom dismissively said no.  But then, on second thought, she said, "But ... I want you to help me in the yard by edging the lawn."  He had offered to cut vegetables, and instead...well, he got to cut a bunch of grass.  He ended up spending over an hour out there, and didn't finish until we were well past cooking the vegetables (I took over the cooking so she could play with Batty).  I felt bad that he was still out there, so I washed a big bowl of cherries and brought it out to him and hung out for moral support.  I eagerly held one out and said, "Look! I brought you cherries!"  To which he put out a fake sad face and whimpered, "But I'm allergic to cherries."  ...Oh yeah.  This is a recent discovery, which is why I keep forgetting. We had a good laugh.

Another perfect weather day.  God has so generously given us the best weather during our entire trip here (following a long rain spell, I hear).  Mr. Squire, Bathands, and I went to visit the beach behind the convent again.  Batty was napping in the ergo, and Mr. Squire and I had fun seeing how far he could throw various pieces of driftwood.  He tried to throw from one wave break to the next, and when it got lost in the lake, he fished it out with a bigger stick.  In the meantime, I egged him on and enjoyed the lapping waves.  It's the best place. I love it there.

We took Batty folk dancing. It was terrible for her sleep schedule, but all the love she got from her folk dancing friends -- people who knew me since I was a little girl -- was so worth it.  Claire, Fran, Mike, Dave and Gloria, Vern and Diana, Adrienne, Merilee, Mercedes, Marie, and more... now in their 60s...70s...80s...Fran is pushing 90 soon.  And they poured love on Bathands, who joined us for the first dance.  :)  And Mommy did the 5-figure cacak while Bathands was trying to figure out what was going on.

Lunch with Aunt Florence.  At 83, she is still going going going,  which is cool to see.  And Batty enjoyed playing with her.

Bathands did her whole "flip over and grin at Mommy" routine a couple times tonight after we put her to bed.  I got it on video this time.  :)

Good chats with Big Sister and sweet hugs from our niece A.

Yummy yellow Rainier cherries. And my dad made fried rice (so yummy).  And Mom made sunshine cake.  (Also yummy.)

Tomorrow we go home.  I don't feel rested physically, but it has been a good break and time with family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment